Sunday, March 7, 2010

Grace Greater Than Our Sin


This week I’ve been thinking about the whole concept of giving things up. I guess my question is- if the Holy Spirit is working on me to give something up that I’m holding as an idol in my life then have I really repented if I only give it up for 40 days? Or am I saying to God, “Yes, this may be an idol in my life, but it’s more important to me than you are. However, to make me look good, I’ll give it up for 40 days.”


Is acknowledging that something may be a sin but not addressing that sin making the sin worse? James 4:17 says “Therefore, to him who knows to do good, but does not do it, to him it is sin.” Isn’t just by saying I’ll give it up for 40 days admitting that you know it’s a sin?

I know that God’s salvation is a free gift, Christ died for me and nothing I do can earn it. I’m not saying that I have to work for my salvation, but as a growing Christian I am to become more Christlike and to put off the sin that ensnares me.

“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Hebrews 12:1



Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
there where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.

Grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that is greater than all our sin!

Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
threaten the soul with infinite loss;
grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
points to the refuge, the mighty cross.

Dark is the stain that we cannot hide.
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
brighter than snow you may be today.

Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see his face,
will you this moment his grace receive?

~ Julia H. Johnston


No comments:

Post a Comment